Painting: The Death of Amy Winehouse



Although I quite liked some of Amy Winehouse's songs, I wasn't a fan because she clearly represented certain despicable characteristics of modern British society. Nevertheless I couldn't help taking an interest in the phenomenon that she was and being struck by her iconic appearance. The underlying note of tragedy in her life also resonated. She happened to die suddenly while I was on my Summer holidays, which meant I had enough time - and the right kind of time - to get back into painting mode and produce this tribute.

The sentimentalization of Miss Winehouse in the days after her death is acknowledged in the colour scheme, blue and gold against a rosy background, but this is offset by touches of cynicism and mild parody that help maintain a degree of emotional distance and moral balance. The skull representing death is allowed to be obvious as throughout her short life it always seemed so obvious that she was fated to die young.
Post A Comment
  • Blogger Comment using Blogger
  • Facebook Comment using Facebook
  • Disqus Comment using Disqus

No comments :


Ceramic Artists