Collection: "Masks" by Anonymous


Although I sometimes pay for it, most of the art that I collect I actually get for free. As I'm a famous art writer, artists give me stuff and occasionally I just help myself as in this case, a piece by an anonymous artist that I saw in the 'drawing room' of the Art Brut Japonais exhibition in 2011.

Sometimes exhibitions will try to spark off the creativity of visitors, especially kids, by including a drawing room, with art materials where visitors can express themselves. Often these artworks are promiscuously displayed and then merely thrown away as soon as the exhibition ends.

The thought of this surreal and perfectly expressed work suffering a similar fate prompted me to 'rescue' it by pinching it. This charming work now occupies a proud and much loved place in my art collection. My only sadness is that I will probably never get to learn the name of the excellent artist who so effortlessly created it, something that adds its own melancholy charm to the work. The artist, like the subjects of the drawing, will remain forever masked.


Post A Comment
  • Blogger Comment using Blogger
  • Facebook Comment using Facebook
  • Disqus Comment using Disqus

No comments :


Ceramic Artists